Spoken English Phrases
ଏହି
Article ର
ଲକ୍ଷ୍ୟ ହେଉଛି ଆପଣଙ୍କୁ ଇଂରାଜୀ ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ ଶିଖାଇବା ଯାହାକୁ ଆପଣ ଅନେକ ଭିନ୍ନ ପରିସ୍ଥିତିରେ
ବ୍ୟବହାର କରିପାରିବେ | ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶଗୁଡିକ ସାଧାରଣ ବକ୍ତାମାନଙ୍କ ଦ୍ୱାରା ବ୍ୟବହୃତ
ସାଧାରଣ ଅଭିବ୍ୟକ୍ତି |ବେଳେବେଳେ ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ କେବେ ବ୍ୟବହାର କରାଯିବ
ସେ ବିଷୟରେ ଛୋଟ ବ୍ୟାଖ୍ୟା ଅନ୍ତର୍ଭୁକ୍ତ କରିଛି | ଏହାର ପ୍ରକୃତ ଅର୍ଥ କ’ଣ; ଆହୁରି ମଧ୍ୟ, କିଛି ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶଗୁଡିକ ବିଶେଷ ଭାବରେ ସୂଚିତ
କରାଯାଇଛି | ଆପଣ ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶଗୁଡିକ ଶୁଣିବା ଏବଂ ଉଚ୍ଚାରଣ ଅଭ୍ୟାସ କରିପାରିବେ |
10 Ways to
Say Hello & Goodbye
(ନମସ୍କାର ଏବଂ ବିଦାୟ କହିବାର 10 ଟି ଉପାୟ)
(ନମସ୍କାର ଏବଂ ବିଦାୟ କହିବାର 10 ଟି ଉପାୟ)
1. Hello
2. Hi
3.
(informal) Hey
4. Hi there
5.
(informal) Howdy
6. Bye
7. Bye-bye
8.
(informal) See ya later
9. Take care
10. Have a
good one
10 Informal
Ways to Say Yes and No
(ହଁ ଏବଂ ନା କହିବାର ଅନୌପଚାରିକ ଉପାୟ)
(ହଁ ଏବଂ ନା କହିବାର ଅନୌପଚାରିକ ଉପାୟ)
1. Yeah
2. Yup
3. Mm-hmm!
4. Uh-huh!
5. Sure!
6. Nope
7. Nah
8. Mm-mm
9. Uh-uh
10. No way!
10 Ways to
Ask How Someone Is
(କେହି ଜଣେ କିପରି ଅଛି ବୋଲି ପଚାରିବାର 10 ଟି ଉପାୟ)
(କେହି ଜଣେ କିପରି ଅଛି ବୋଲି ପଚାରିବାର 10 ଟି ଉପାୟ)
1. How are
you?
2. How’s it
going?
3. How ya
doin’?
4. How are
things?
5. How’s
life?
6. How have
you been?
7. How’s
your family?
8. What’s
up?
9. What’s
new?
10. What
have you been up to lately?
10 Ways to
Say How You Are
(ଆପଣ କିପରି ଅଛନ୍ତି କହିବାର 10 ଟି ଉପାୟ)
(ଆପଣ କିପରି ଅଛନ୍ତି କହିବାର 10 ଟି ଉପାୟ)
1. I’m fine,
thanks. How about you?
2. Pretty
good.
3. Not bad.
4. Great!
5. Couldn’t
be better!
6. Can’t
complain.
7. I’ve been
busy.
8. Same as
always.
9. Not so
great.
10. Could be
better.
Note: The
way to respond to “What’s up?” and “What’s new?” is typically “Not much.”
10 Ways to
Say Thank You
(ଧନ୍ୟବାଦ କହିବାର 10 ଟି ଉପାୟ)
(ଧନ୍ୟବାଦ କହିବାର 10 ଟି ଉପାୟ)
1. Thanks.
2. Thanks a
lot.
3. Thank you
so much.
4. Thanks a
million!
5. Thanks
for your help. / Thanks for helping me.
6. I really
appreciate it.
7. I’m
really grateful.
8. That’s so
kind of you.
9. I can’t
thank you enough.
(for
extremely important things)
10. I owe
you one.
10 Ways to
Respond to “Thank You”
(“ଧନ୍ୟବାଦ” କୁ ପ୍ରତିକ୍ରିୟା କରିବାର 10 ଟି ଉପାୟ)
(“ଧନ୍ୟବାଦ” କୁ ପ୍ରତିକ୍ରିୟା କରିବାର 10 ଟି ଉପାୟ)
1. You’re
welcome.
2. No
problem.
3. No
worries.
4. Don’t
mention it.
5. My
pleasure.
6. Anytime.
7. It was
the least I could do.
8. Glad to
help.
9. Sure!
10. Thank
you.
5 Phrases
for Apologizing
(କ୍ଷମା ମାଗିବା ପାଇଁ 5 ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ)
(କ୍ଷମା ମାଗିବା ପାଇଁ 5 ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ)
1. I’m sorry
that… [ex. I was so rude yesterday]
2. It’s my
fault.
(= I am
taking responsibility for the problem)
3. Oops,
sorry.
(for very
small problems)
4. I should
have… [ex. called you and told you I’d be late]
5. (formal)
I apologize for… [ex. the delay]
5 Ways to
Respond to an Apology
("କ୍ଷମା ମାଗିବା"କୁ ପ୍ରତିକ୍ରିୟା କରିବାର 5 ଟି ଉପାୟ)
("କ୍ଷମା ମାଗିବା"କୁ ପ୍ରତିକ୍ରିୟା କରିବାର 5 ଟି ଉପାୟ)
1. That’s OK.
2. It
happens.
3. No
problem.
4. Don’t
worry about it.
5. I forgive
you.
10 Phrases
for Introductions
(ପରିଚୟ ପାଇଁ 10 ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ)
(ପରିଚୟ ପାଇଁ 10 ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ)
1. I just
wanted to introduce myself. I’m… [your name]
2. I don’t
think we’ve met before. My name’s… [your name]
3. This is…
4. I’d like
you to meet…
5. Have you
met… ?
6. I’d like
to introduce you to…
7. Nice to
meet you.
8. It’s a
pleasure to meet you.
9. Likewise.
10. And you.
6 Ways to
Show Interest
(ଆଗ୍ରହ ଦେଖାଇବାର 6 ଟି ଉପାୟ)
(ଆଗ୍ରହ ଦେଖାଇବାର 6 ଟି ଉପାୟ)
1. Really?
2. That’s
interesting.
3. Uh-huh.
4. Right.
5. Gotcha.
6. Sure.
5 Ways to
End a Conversation Politely
(ଭଦ୍ର ଭାବରେ ବାର୍ତ୍ତାଳାପ ଶେଷ କରିବାର 5 ଟି ଉପାୟ)
(ଭଦ୍ର ଭାବରେ ବାର୍ତ୍ତାଳାପ ଶେଷ କରିବାର 5 ଟି ଉପାୟ)
1. It was
nice chatting with you.
2. Well,
it’s getting late.
3. Anyway, I
should get going.
4. (formal)
Sorry, but I’m afraid I need to…
5. I’m sorry
to cut you off, but I actually gotta run.
10 Phrases
for Telephone Calls
(ଟେଲିଫୋନ୍ କଲ୍ ପାଇଁ 10 ଟି ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ)
(ଟେଲିଫୋନ୍ କଲ୍ ପାଇଁ 10 ଟି ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ)
1. Hi, this
is Jane.
2. (formal)
May I speak with John Smith?
3.
(informal) Is John there?
4. I’m
calling about…
5. I’m
returning your call.
6. (formal)
One moment, please.
7.
(informal) Hang on a sec.
8. He’s not
here. Would you like to leave a message?
9. Could you
ask him to call me back?
10. Thanks
for calling.
10 Phrases
for Asking for Information
(ସୂଚନା ମାଗିବା ପାଇଁ 10 ଟି ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ)
(ସୂଚନା ମାଗିବା ପାଇଁ 10 ଟି ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ)
1. Can you
tell me...?
2. Could you
tell me...?
3. I'd like
to know...
4. Do you
know...
5. Do you
have any idea...?
6. Could
anyone tell me...?
(use this
phrase when asking a group of people)
7. Would you
happen to know...?
8. I don't
suppose you (would) know...?
9. I was
wondering…
10. I’m
calling to find out…
5 Ways to
Say “I don’t know”
(“ମୁଁ ଜାଣେ ନାହିଁ” କହିବାର 5 ଟି ଉପାୟ )
(“ମୁଁ ଜାଣେ ନାହିଁ” କହିବାର 5 ଟି ଉପାୟ )
1. I have no
idea/clue.
2. I can’t
help you there.
3.
(informal) Beats me.
4. I’m not
really sure.
5. I’ve been
wondering that, too.
10 Phrases
for Asking for Someone’s Opinion
& Giving Your Opinion
(କାହାର ମତାମତ ମାଗିବା ଏବଂ ଆପଣଙ୍କ ମତାମତ ଦେବା ପାଇଁ 10 ଟି ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ)
(କାହାର ମତାମତ ମାଗିବା ଏବଂ ଆପଣଙ୍କ ମତାମତ ଦେବା ପାଇଁ 10 ଟି ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ)
1. What do
you think about...?
2. How do
you feel about…?
3. What's
your opinion of...?
4. What are
your views on...?
5. In my
opinion…
6. I'd
say...
7.
Personally, I think/believe...
8. If you
ask me...
9. The way I
see it...
10. From my
point of view…
5 Phrases
for Not Having an Opinion
(ଏକ ମତାମତ ନହେବା ପାଇଁ 5 ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ)
(ଏକ ମତାମତ ନହେବା ପାଇଁ 5 ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ)
1. I’ve
never given it much thought.
2. I don’t
have strong feelings either way.
3. It
doesn’t make any difference to me.
4. I have no
opinion on the matter.
5. (very
informal) Whatever.
10 Phrases
for Agreeing
(ରାଜି ହେବା ପାଇଁ 10 ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ)
(ରାଜି ହେବା ପାଇଁ 10 ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ)
1. Exactly.
2.
Absolutely.
3. That’s so
true.
4. That’s
for sure.
5. I agree
100%
6. I
couldn’t agree with you more.
7. That’s
exactly what I think. / That’s exactly how I feel.
8.
(informal) Tell me about it! / You’re telling me!
9.
(informal) I’ll say!
10. I
suppose so.
10 Phrases
for Disagreeing
(ମତଭେଦ ପାଇଁ 10 ଟି ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ)
(ମତଭେଦ ପାଇଁ 10 ଟି ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ)
1. I don’t
think so.
2. I beg to
differ.
3. I’m
afraid I don’t agree.
4. I’m not
so sure about that.
5. That’s
not how I see it.
6. Not
necessarily.
7. Yes, but…
[say your opinion]
8. On the
contrary.
9. (very
informal) No way!
10.(very
strong) I totally disagree.
5 Phrases
for Responding to Good News
(ଭଲ ଖବରର ପ୍ରତିକ୍ରିୟା ପାଇଁ 5 ଟି ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ)
(ଭଲ ଖବରର ପ୍ରତିକ୍ରିୟା ପାଇଁ 5 ଟି ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ)
1.
Congratulations!
2. That’s
great!
3. How
wonderful!
4. Awesome!
5. I’m so
happy for you!
5 Phrases
for Responding to Bad News
(ଖରାପ ଖବରର ପ୍ରତିକ୍ରିୟା ପାଇଁ 5 ଟି ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ)
(ଖରାପ ଖବରର ପ୍ରତିକ୍ରିୟା ପାଇଁ 5 ଟି ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ)
1. Oh no…
2. That’s
terrible.
3. Poor you.
(Use this to
respond to bad situations that are not too serious)
4. I’m so
sorry to hear that.
5. I’m sorry
for your loss.
(Use this
only if someone has died)
10 Phrases
for Invitations
(ନିମନ୍ତ୍ରଣ ପାଇଁ 10 ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ)
(ନିମନ୍ତ୍ରଣ ପାଇଁ 10 ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ)
1. Are you
free… [Saturday night?]
2. Are you
doing anything… [Saturday night?]
3. Let me
check my calendar.
4.
(informal) Do you wanna… [see a movie?]
5. (formal)
Would you like to… [join me for dinner?]
6. I’d love
to!
7. Sounds
great!
8. I’d love
to, but I have another commitment.
9. I don’t
think I can.
10. Maybe
another time.
5 Ways to
Make & Respond to an Offer
(ଏକ ଅଫରକୁ ପ୍ରସ୍ତୁତ ଏବଂ ପ୍ରତିକ୍ରିୟା କରିବାର 5 ଟି ଉପାୟ)
(ଏକ ଅଫରକୁ ପ୍ରସ୍ତୁତ ଏବଂ ପ୍ରତିକ୍ରିୟା କରିବାର 5 ଟି ଉପାୟ)
1. (more
formal) Would you like a drink?
2.
(informal) Do you want some water?
3. Can I get
you something to eat?
4. That’d be
great, thanks.
(= yes)
5. No,
thanks. I’m OK.
(= no)
6 Phrases
for Talking About Future Plans
(ଭବିଷ୍ୟତ ଯୋଜନା ବିଷୟରେ କଥାବାର୍ତ୍ତା ପାଇଁ 6 ଟି ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ)
1. I’m going to…
(ଭବିଷ୍ୟତ ଯୋଜନା ବିଷୟରେ କଥାବାର୍ତ୍ତା ପାଇଁ 6 ଟି ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ)
1. I’m going to…
2. I’m
planning to…
3. I hope
to…
4. I’d like
to…
5. I might…
/ I may…
6. I’m
thinking about…
10 Ways to
Talk about Likes & Dislikes
(ପସନ୍ଦ ଏବଂ ନାପସନ୍ଦ ବିଷୟରେ କହିବାର 10 ଟି ଉପାୟ)
(ପସନ୍ଦ ଏବଂ ନାପସନ୍ଦ ବିଷୟରେ କହିବାର 10 ଟି ଉପାୟ)
1. I love…
[soccer]
2. I’m
really into… [soccer]
3. I live
for… [soccer]
4. [soccer]
is my thing.
5. I’m crazy
about… [soccer]
6. I’m not a
huge fan of… [modern art]
7. [Modern
art] isn’t my cup of tea.
8. I don’t
really care for… [modern art]
9. I’m not
into… [modern art]
10. I can’t
stand… [modern art]
(this phrase
expresses strong dislike)
5 Ways to
Make a Suggestion
(ଏକ ପରାମର୍ଶ ଦେବାର 5 ଟି ଉପାୟ)
(ଏକ ପରାମର୍ଶ ଦେବାର 5 ଟି ଉପାୟ)
1. How
about… [ex. trying something new]?
2. Why don’t
you… [ex. talk to your boss]?
3. Maybe we
should… [ex. do more research].
4. I’d
recommend… [ex. going to the doctor].
5. Have you
thought about… [ex. buying a new computer]?
10 Phrases
for Asking/Talking about Jobs
(ଚାକିରି ବିଷୟରେ ପଚାରିବା / କଥାବାର୍ତ୍ତା ପାଇଁ 10 ଟି ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ)
(ଚାକିରି ବିଷୟରେ ପଚାରିବା / କଥାବାର୍ତ୍ତା ପାଇଁ 10 ଟି ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ)
1. Where do
you work?
2. What do
you do? / What do you do for a living?
3. I work
at… [Microsoft].
4. I’m a/an…
[accountant].
5. I’m
unemployed. / I’m between jobs at the moment.
6. I’m
looking for work.
7. I’m a
stay-at-home mom/dad.
8. I run my
own business.
9. I’m a
freelance… [writer/designer/etc.]
10. I’m
retired.
10 Phrases
for Describing Relationships
(ସମ୍ପର୍କ ବର୍ଣ୍ଣନା ପାଇଁ 10 ଟି ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ)
(ସମ୍ପର୍କ ବର୍ଣ୍ଣନା ପାଇଁ 10 ଟି ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ)
1. I’m
single.
2. I have a
boyfriend/girlfriend.
3. We’re
engaged.
(= going to
get married)
4. We’re
getting married in June.
5. I’m
married.
6. I’ve been
married for… [10 years].
7. I’m
divorced.
8. I’m
widowed.
(= my
husband/wife has died)
9. I’m not
looking for anything serious.
10. I’m not
quite over my ex.
(= I still
have feelings for my ex-boyfriend/girlfriend or ex-husband/wife)
5 Ways to
Ask for Clarification
(ସ୍ପଷ୍ଟୀକରଣ ମାଗିବାର 5 ଟି ଉପାୟ)
(ସ୍ପଷ୍ଟୀକରଣ ମାଗିବାର 5 ଟି ଉପାୟ)
1. Pardon?
(if you
didn’t hear or understand what the person said)
2. Would you
mind repeating that?
3. What do
you mean?
(asking for
more information)
4. I’m not
sure I follow you.
(= I don’t
understand)
5. Could you
explain… ?
5 Ways to
Check if the Other Person
5 Ways to
Check if the Other Person Understands You
(ଅନ୍ୟ ବ୍ୟକ୍ତି ଆପଣଙ୍କୁ ବୁଝନ୍ତି କି ନାହିଁ ଯାଞ୍ଚ କରିବାର 5 ଟି ଉପାୟ)
1. Do you
understand what I’m saying?
2. Does that
make sense?
3. Do you
know what I mean?
4. Are you
with me so far?
(often used
in the middle of a long explanation or instructions)
5. Is that
clear?
(often used
after giving orders, or expressing disapproval or another negative
attitude)
5 Ways to
Ask for Help
(ସାହାଯ୍ୟ ମାଗିବାର 5 ଟି ଉପାୟ)
(ସାହାଯ୍ୟ ମାଗିବାର 5 ଟି ଉପାୟ)
1. I need a
little help.
2. Could you
help me out?
3. Could you
give me a hand?
(usually
used for physical tasks)
4. Could you
spare a couple minutes?
5. Could you
do me a favor?
5 Ways to
Ask Someone Else to Do Something
(ଅନ୍ୟକୁ କିଛି କରିବାକୁ ପଚାରିବାର 5 ଟି ଉପାୟ)
1. (more
formal) Would you mind… [opening the window]?
2. Could you
please… [turn off the lights]?
3.
(informal) Can you… [pass me the chicken]?
4. Please…
[send me the information].
5. I’d
appreciate it if you could… [wash the dishes].
5 Ways to
Interrupt Someone
(କାହାକୁ ବାଧା ଦେବାର 5 ଟି ଉପାୟ)
(କାହାକୁ ବାଧା ଦେବାର 5 ଟି ଉପାୟ)
1. Sorry to
interrupt, but…
2. Excuse me
– could I talk to you for a minute? / do you have a minute?
(when
interrupting a conversation between two other people, to talk to one of them)
3. Could I
jump in here?
(use this
when interrupting a discussion among many people)
4. Sorry – I
just want to say that…
5. (formal)
May I have a word?
10 Ways to
Encourage Someone
(କାହାକୁ ଉତ୍ସାହିତ କରିବାର 10 ଟି ଉପାୟ)
(କାହାକୁ ଉତ୍ସାହିତ କରିବାର 10 ଟି ଉପାୟ)
1. Keep up
the good work!
2. That was
a nice try.
(say this
after someone made a good effort but failed)
3. That’s a
real improvement.
4. You’re on
the right track.
5. You’ve
almost got it.
6. You’re
doing great.
7. Don’t
give up! / Hang in there!
(when
someone is currently having difficulties)
8. You can
do it!
9. Give it
your best shot.
(best shot =
best try, best effort)
10. Nice
job! / You did great!
(after the
person has done something good)
5 Phrases
for Complaining
(ଅଭିଯୋଗ ପାଇଁ 5 ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ)
(ଅଭିଯୋଗ ପାଇଁ 5 ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ)
1. I’m not
happy about this.
2. I’m
sorry, but this is unacceptable.
3. I’m not
very satisfied with... [ex. this product / this situation]
4.
(informal) I can’t stand it when… [ex. the internet is slow]
5.
(informal) This sucks.
10 Phrases
for Remembering
(ମନେରଖିବା ପାଇଁ 10 ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ)
(ମନେରଖିବା ପାଇଁ 10 ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ)
1. I’ll
always remember… / I’ll never forget…
2. If I
remember correctly… / As far as I can recall…
3. I have a
vague recollection of…
4. It’s on
the tip of my tongue.
(=I’m trying
to remember, but I can’t quite remember)
5. My mind
went blank.
(= I
couldn’t remember/think of anything)
6. It
doesn’t ring a bell.
(=it doesn’t
sound familiar)
7. Please
remember to… / Please don’t forget to…
8. I’d like
to remind you about…
9. You
haven’t forgotten to/about… have you?
10. It
completely slipped my mind!
(= I
completely forgot about it!)
10 Phrases
for Saying Something
1. It’s a
piece of cake.
2. It’s a
cinch.
3. It’s a
breeze.
4. Anyone
can do it.
5. There’s
nothing to it.
6. It’s
hard.
7. It’s a
bit tricky.
8. It’s
really tough.
9. It’s not
a walk in the park.
10. It’s
very demanding.
(= it takes
a lot of time and energy)
10
Expressions about Age
(ବୟସ ବିଷୟରେ 10 ଟି ଅଭିବ୍ୟକ୍ତି)
(ବୟସ ବିଷୟରେ 10 ଟି ଅଭିବ୍ୟକ୍ତି)
1. She’s in
her early twenties.
(=20-23
years old)
2. He’s in
his late thirties.
(=37-39 years
old)
3. She just
turned six.
4. Act your
age!
(use this
when an adult is being immature, acting like a child)
5. I’m not
as young as I used to be.
6. I’m not
over the hill yet!
(over the
hill = an informal expression to say “old”)
7. He’s no
spring chicken.
(= he’s not
young)
8. She’s
wise beyond her years.
(she is
young, but she has the wisdom of an older person)
9. I’m
having a senior moment.
(= I’m being
forgetful)
10. He lived
to a ripe old age.
(= a very
old age)
10 Phrases
for Shopping
(ସପିଂ ପାଇଁ 10 ଟି ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ)
(ସପିଂ ପାଇଁ 10 ଟି ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ)
1. Do you
have… ?
2. Where can
I find… ?
3. I’m just
browsing.
(browsing =
looking casually)
4. I’m
looking for…
5. How much
is this?
6. Is this
on sale?
7. Can I try
it on?
(use this to
ask if you can put on clothing to see if it’s the right size)
8. I’ll take
it!
9. Do you
take credit cards?
10. I’d like
to return/exchange this.
10 Phrases
for Talking about Food
(ଖାଦ୍ୟ ବିଷୟରେ କଥାବାର୍ତ୍ତା ପାଇଁ 10 ଟି ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ)
(ଖାଦ୍ୟ ବିଷୟରେ କଥାବାର୍ତ୍ତା ପାଇଁ 10 ଟି ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ)
1. I’m
starving!
(= I’m very
hungry)
2. Let’s
grab a bite to eat.
3. How about
eating out tonight?
(eat out =
eat at a restaurant)
4. I brought
some snacks.
5. This soup
is delicious!
6. Could I
have another helping of… [potatoes]?
(another
helping = another portion)
7. I’ll
have…
(use this
phrase for ordering in a restaurant)
8. Could we
get the check, please?
9. I’m full.
(= I’m
satisfied)
10. I’m
stuffed.
(= I ate a
LOT, maybe too much!)
10 Phrases for
Talking About TV
(ଟିଭି ବିଷୟରେ କଥାବାର୍ତ୍ତା ପାଇଁ 10 ଟି ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ)
(ଟିଭି ବିଷୟରେ କଥାବାର୍ତ୍ତା ପାଇଁ 10 ଟି ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ)
1. Where’s
the remote?
(remote =
remote control)
2. Is there
anything good on?
3. Can I
change the channel?
4. I’ve
already seen this episode.
5. This is a
rerun.
(rerun = an
old episode that was already shown on TV previously)
6. I love
this show!
7. There are
too many commercials.
8. Stop
channel-surfing.
(channel-surfing
= changing the channel quickly)
9. Check the
TV guide.
(the TV
guide has the information about the TV programming and schedule)
10. It’s the
season finale!
(= the final
episode of the season)
10 Phrases
You’ll Hear in the Airport
(ବିମାନବନ୍ଦରରେ ଆପଣ 10 ଟି ବାକ୍ୟ ଶୁଣିବେ)
(ବିମାନବନ୍ଦରରେ ଆପଣ 10 ଟି ବାକ୍ୟ ଶୁଣିବେ)
1. Do you
have any bags to check?
2. Would you
like a window seat or an aisle seat?
(aisle =
corridor)
3. Here’s
your boarding pass.
(boarding
pass = the paper that permits you to enter the plane)
4. Your
flight leaves from gate 15.
5. Your seat
number is 8F.
6. Flight
800 is now boarding.
(boarding =
passengers can enter the plane)
7. Your
flight has been delayed.
8. Your
flight has been canceled.
9. This is
the final call for flight 800.
10. What is
the purpose of your trip?
10 Ways to
Talk About Price
(ମୂଲ୍ୟ ବିଷୟରେ କହିବାର 10 ଟି ଉପାୟ)
(ମୂଲ୍ୟ ବିଷୟରେ କହିବାର 10 ଟି ଉପାୟ)
1. It cost a
fortune.
2. It cost
an arm and a leg.
3. That’s a
rip-off.
(=
overpriced; far more expensive than it should be)
4. I can’t
afford it.
(= I don’t
have enough money to buy it)
5. That’s a
bit pricey.
6. That’s
quite reasonable.
(= it’s a
good price)
7. It’s 20%
off.
(= there’s a
20% discount)
8. That’s a
good deal.
(= a good
value for the amount of money)
9. It was a
real bargain.
10. It was
dirt cheap.
(= extremely
inexpensive)
5 Phrases
for Hot Weather
(ଗରମ ପାଣିପାଗ ପାଇଁ 5 ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ)
(ଗରମ ପାଣିପାଗ ପାଇଁ 5 ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ)
1. It’s nice
and warm today.
2. It’s
absolutely boiling!
(boiling =
extremely hot)
3. We’re
having a real heatwave.
(heatwave =
many consecutive days of hot weather)
4. The sun’s
really strong today.
5. It’s hot
and humid.
5 Phrases
for Cold Weather
1. It’s a
little chilly.
2. It’s
freezing.
(= extremely
cold)
3. The
temperature’s dropping.
4. Make sure
to bundle up.
(bundle up =
put on warm clothes for protection against the cold)
5. We’re
expecting some winter weather.
(winter
weather = snow, hail, sleet, ice, etc.)
5 Phrases
for Talking about Rain
(ବର୍ଷା ବିଷୟରେ କଥାବାର୍ତ୍ତା ପାଇଁ 5 ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ)
(ବର୍ଷା ବିଷୟରେ କଥାବାର୍ତ୍ତା ପାଇଁ 5 ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ)
1. It’s
drizzling.
(= raining
lightly)
2. It’s
pouring.
(= raining
heavily)
3. It’s
raining cats and dogs.
(= raining
heavily)
4. I got
caught in a downpour.
5. I think
the rain’s letting up.
(letting up
= getting lighter and stopping)
10 Ways to
Say You’re Tired
(ତୁମେ କ୍ଳାନ୍ତ ବୋଲି କହିବାର 10 ଟି ଉପାୟ)
(ତୁମେ କ୍ଳାନ୍ତ ବୋଲି କହିବାର 10 ଟି ଉପାୟ)
1. I’m
exhausted.
2. I’m dead
tired.
3. I’m
pooped.
4. I’m
spent.
5. I’m beat.
6. I’m
running on fumes. / I’m running on empty.
7. I can
hardly keep my eyes open.
8. I’m off
to bed.
9. I’m gonna
hit the sack.
(hit the
sack = go to bed)
10. It’s
bedtime for me.
5 Phrases
for Promises & Resolutions
(ପ୍ରତିଜ୍ଞା ଏବଂ ସଂକଳ୍ପ ପାଇଁ 5 ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ)
(ପ୍ରତିଜ୍ଞା ଏବଂ ସଂକଳ୍ପ ପାଇଁ 5 ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ)
1. I really
should…
2. I promise
that I’ll…
3. I swear
I’ll / I won’t…
(a very
strong promise)
4. No matter
what happens, I’m going to…
5. Come hell
or high water, I’ll…
10 Excuses
for Being Late
(ବିଳମ୍ବ ହେବାର 10 ଟି ବାହାନା)
(ବିଳମ୍ବ ହେବାର 10 ଟି ବାହାନା)
1. Sorry I’m
late.
2. I
overslept.
(= I slept
longer than I should have)
3. My alarm
didn’t go off.
4. I had to
wait ages for a bus.
(ages = a
very long time)
5. The bus
was late.
6. The
traffic was terrible.
7. I
couldn’t find a parking spot.
8. I got
lost coming here.
9. I was
tied up in a meeting.
(tied up =
occupied, impossible to escape)
10. I just
lost track of time.
(= I didn’t
notice what time it was)
5 Ways to
Say Someone is Correct
(ଆପଣ ସଠିକ୍ ବୋଲି କହିବାର 5 ଟି ଉପାୟ )
(ଆପଣ ସଠିକ୍ ବୋଲି କହିବାର 5 ଟି ଉପାୟ )
1. That’s
right.
2. That’s
spot on.
3. You’ve
hit the nail on the head. / You’ve nailed it.
4. I suppose
so.
(use this
when you agree, but you are not completely convinced)
5. I’m
afraid you’re right.
(use this in
response to bad news, to say the bad news is correct)
5 Ways to
Say Someone is Wrong
(କାହାକୁ ଭୁଲ୍ କହିବାର 5 ଟି ଉପାୟ)
(କାହାକୁ ଭୁଲ୍ କହିବାର 5 ଟି ଉପାୟ)
1. I’m
afraid that’s not quite right.
2. I’m
afraid you’re mistaken.
3. No,
you’ve got it wrong.
4. No,
that’s all wrong.
5. (informal
– rude) Baloney. / Bullshit.
5 Ways to
Say Someone is Smart
1. He’s
really sharp.
2. She’s
brilliant.
3. He’s very
bright.
4. She’s a
genius.
5. He’s a
smart cookie.
5 Ways to
Say Someone is Stupid
(କାହାକୁ ମୂର୍ଖ କହିବାର 5 ଉପାୟ)
(କାହାକୁ ମୂର୍ଖ କହିବାର 5 ଉପାୟ)
1. He’s not
the sharpest tool in the shed.
2. She’s a
few cards short of a deck.
3. He’s a
bit slow.
4. She’s a
complete idiot.
5. He’s
really dumb.
10 Ways to
Avoid Answering a Question
(ଏକ ପ୍ରଶ୍ନର ଉତ୍ତରରୁ ଦୂରେଇ ରହିବା ପାଇଁ 10 ଟି ଉପାୟ)
(ଏକ ପ୍ରଶ୍ନର ଉତ୍ତରରୁ ଦୂରେଇ ରହିବା ପାଇଁ 10 ଟି ଉପାୟ)
1. No comment.
2. I’m not
at liberty to say.
(= I don’t
have permission to give the information)
3. Wait and
see.
(= you will
discover the answer later)
4. Let me
get back to you.
(= I will
give you the answer later)
5. I’m
sorry, that’s confidential.
6. I’m
sorry, that’s personal.
7. I’d
rather not talk about it.
8. It’s none
of your business.
9. Mind your
own business.
10. Why do
you want to know?
15 Phrases
for Being Rich & Poor
(ଧନୀ ଏବଂ ଗରିବ ହେବାର 15 ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ)
(ଧନୀ ଏବଂ ଗରିବ ହେବାର 15 ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ)
1. He’s
short on cash.
2. He’s
broke.
(= he has no
money)
3. His bank
account is overdrawn.
4. He’s just
scraping by.
(= he is
just barely surviving on little money)
5. He makes
minimum wage.
(= he earns
the minimum salary)
6. He’s
pinching pennies.
7. He’s
scrimping and saving.
8. She’s
very wealthy.
9. She’s
quite well-off.
10. She’s
loaded.
11. She’s
filthy rich.
12. She
inherited a fortune.
13. She’s
making a killing.
14. She’s
raking in the cash.
15. She’s
rolling in dough.
10 Phrases
for Talking about Statistics
(ପରିସଂଖ୍ୟାନ ବିଷୟରେ କଥାବାର୍ତ୍ତା ପାଇଁ 10 ଟି ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ)
(ପରିସଂଖ୍ୟାନ ବିଷୟରେ କଥାବାର୍ତ୍ତା ପାଇଁ 10 ଟି ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ)
1. The crime
rate rose.
2. The crime
rate went up.
3. There was
a sharp increase in crime.
(sharp =
sudden and large)
4. There was
a gradual rise in crime.
5. There was
a spike in crime.
(spike = a
sudden increase and then decrease)
6. The crime
rate reached its peak.
(peak = the
highest point)
7. The crime
rate plateaued.
(plateaued =
stayed at the same level)
8. There was
a slight decrease in crime.
9. The crime
rate dropped.
10. The
crime rate plummeted.
(= decreased
a lot, very quickly)
10 Ways to
Say Someone’s Talented
(କାହାର ପ୍ରତିଭା କହିବାର 10 ଟି ଉପାୟ)
(କାହାର ପ୍ରତିଭା କହିବାର 10 ଟି ଉପାୟ)
1. She was
born to… [dance].
2. He’s a
natural.
3. She could
do it in her sleep.
4. He knows
it inside out.
5. She knows
[New York] like the back of her hand.
6. She’s a
walking encyclopedia of… [philosophy].
7. He’s in a
class of his own.
8. He’s the
best in the business.
9. She’s
very gifted.
10. He’s a
[chemistry] whiz.
10 Phrases
for Telling Someone to Wait
(କାହାକୁ ଅପେକ୍ଷା କରିବାକୁ କହିବାର 10 ଟି ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ |
(କାହାକୁ ଅପେକ୍ଷା କରିବାକୁ କହିବାର 10 ଟି ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ |
1. Could you
give me a minute?
2.
(informal) Hang on a sec / Just a sec.
3. Hold
on...
4. Let me
see/think…
5. I'll be
right with you.
6. Bear with
me.
7. That’ll
have to wait.
8. Be
patient.
9. Not so
fast!
10. Hold
your horses!
10 Phrases
for Estimating & Guessing
(ଆକଳନ ଏବଂ ଅନୁମାନ ପାଇଁ 10 ଟି ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ)
(ଆକଳନ ଏବଂ ଅନୁମାନ ପାଇଁ 10 ଟି ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ)
1. If I had
to take a guess, I’d say… [she’s about 35 years old].
2. It’s
difficult to say, but I think… [our customers are more satisfied].
3. Off the
top of my head, I’d say… [the company has 500 employees].
(= what I
remember/estimate, without checking the actual statistics)
4. It’s
about… [10 miles away].
5. It’s
around… [three hours long].
6. I
wouldn’t be surprised if… [Peter asks Jill to marry him].
7. There’s a
good chance… [it’ll rain tomorrow].
8. I have a
feeling/hunch… [the boss won’t be happy about this].
(hunch = an
instinctive feeling)
9. I bet…
[he’ll be late].
10. Your
guess is as good as mine.
(= I don’t
know)
10 Phrases
for Decisions
(ନିଷ୍ପତ୍ତି ପାଇଁ 10 ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ)
(ନିଷ୍ପତ୍ତି ପାଇଁ 10 ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ)
1. I’m
debating between… [option A and option B]
2. I can’t
make up my mind.
3. I’m on
the fence.
(= I’m in
the middle, I don’t know what to decide)
4. I’ll take
that into consideration.
5. On the
other hand…
6. I’m
having second thoughts.
(= I’m
reconsidering my decision)
7. I changed
my mind.
8. He
convinced/persuaded me to…
9. Looking
back, I know it was the right decision.
10. It’s up
to you.
(= You can
decide)
10 Phrases
for Good Luck & Bad Luck
(ଶୁଭ ଭାଗ୍ୟ ଏବଂ ଖରାପ ଭାଗ୍ୟ ପାଇଁ 10 ଟି ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ)
(ଶୁଭ ଭାଗ୍ୟ ଏବଂ ଖରାପ ଭାଗ୍ୟ ପାଇଁ 10 ଟି ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ)
1. Good
luck!
2. Better
luck next time.
(say this
after someone fails, and you hope they do better next time)
3. Just my
luck!
(this is a a sarcastic phrase meaning that something UNLUCKY happened)
4. Lucky you!
5. That was
a stroke of luck.
(= a sudden
event of good luck)
6. Some
people have all the luck.
(say this
when someone else is constantly lucky, and you feel like you’re not lucky)
7. As luck
would have it…
(= by
chance)
8. He’s down
on his luck.
(= he’s
having a long period of bad luck or difficulty)
9. No such
luck.
(= something
good that could have happened, didn’t happen)
10. What
rotten luck!
10 Phrases
for Worries & Relief
(ଚିନ୍ତା ଏବଂ ଉପସମ ପାଇଁ 10 ଟି ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ)
(ଚିନ୍ତା ଏବଂ ଉପସମ ପାଇଁ 10 ଟି ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ)
1. I’m
scared that…
2. I can’t
help thinking that…
(use this
for thoughts that you try to avoid, but they keep coming into your mind)
3. It’s been
keeping me up at night.
(use this
when you’re so worried about something that you can’t sleep)
4. What if…
?
5. Whew!
6. Thank
goodness!
7. What a
relief!
8. You had
me worried for a moment.
9. You have
no idea what a relief it is.
10. That’s a
huge load off my mind.
10 Phrases
for Talking about the Future
(ଭବିଷ୍ୟତ ବିଷୟରେ କଥାବାର୍ତ୍ତା ପାଇଁ 10 ଟି ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ)
(ଭବିଷ୍ୟତ ବିଷୟରେ କଥାବାର୍ତ୍ତା ପାଇଁ 10 ଟି ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ)
1. It’ll
happen any day now.
2. It’s
right around the corner.
3. …in the
near future.
4. It
will/won’t happen in our lifetime.
(= in the
next 40-50 years)
5. It’s a
sign/taste of things to come.
(= it
indicates how things will be in the future)
6. I’m
counting down the days until…
(= I’m
excited about the future event, I can’t wait for it to happen)
7. Sooner or
later… / It’s bound to happen eventually.
(= it will
definitely happen sometime in the future)
8. I’ll get
around to it.
(= I’ll do
it sometime in the future, but I don’t know exactly when)
9. I’ll do
it right away. / I’ll get right on it.
(= I’ll do
it immediately)
10. Time
will tell.
10 Phrases
for Compliments
(ପ୍ରଶଂସା ପାଇଁ 10 ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ)
(ପ୍ରଶଂସା ପାଇଁ 10 ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ)
1. You look
nice. / You look amazing!
2. What a
beautiful [necklace/dress/etc.]!
3. I like
your [shirt/shoes/haircut/etc.]
4. The
lasagna is delicious.
5. You’re a
fantastic cook.
6. My
compliments to the chef!
7. What a
nice apartment!
8. You have
a beautiful home.
9.
He’s/She’s so cute!
10. Your
kids are a lot of fun.
15 Phrases
for Certainty & Probability
(ନିଶ୍ଚିତତା ଏବଂ ସମ୍ଭାବନା ପାଇଁ 15 ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ)
(ନିଶ୍ଚିତତା ଏବଂ ସମ୍ଭାବନା ପାଇଁ 15 ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ)
1. I’m
absolutely sure.
2. I’m
positive that…
3. I have no
doubt that…
4. I’m a
hundred percent certain.
5. I’m
convinced that…
6. Chances
are that…
(= this will
probably happen)
7. Odds are
that…
(= this will
probably happen)
8. I
seriously doubt it.
9. I don’t
think so.
10. Probably
not.
11. It’s not
very likely.
12. There’s
not much chance of that.
13. I’d be
very surprised if that happened.
14. I
wouldn’t bet on it.
(= there’s a
small chance it could happen… but it probably won’t happen)
15. That’ll
never happen.
10 Ways to
Say Something is Interesting/Boring
(କୌତୁହଳ / ବିରକ୍ତିକର କହିବାର 10 ଟି ଉପାୟ)
(କୌତୁହଳ / ବିରକ୍ତିକର କହିବାର 10 ଟି ଉପାୟ)
1. It’s
fascinating.
2. It’s
intriguing.
3. I
couldn’t tear myself away.
4. I
couldn’t put it down.
(this phrase
is used for en extremely interesting book)
5. I was so
into it, I lost track of time.
6. It does
nothing for me.
7. I was
bored to tears.
8. I was
bored to death.
9. I was
dying of boredom.
10. It’s
about as exciting as watching paint dry.
(= it’s very
boring)
10 Phrases
for Cheering Someone Up
(କାହାକୁ ଖୁସି କରିବା ପାଇଁ 10 ଟି ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ)
(କାହାକୁ ଖୁସି କରିବା ପାଇଁ 10 ଟି ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ)
1. What’s
the matter?
2. What’s
wrong?
3. Are you
all right?
4. You look
a bit down.
(= a little
sad)
5. Is there
anything I can do to help?
6. Cheer up!
/ Chin up!
7. It’s not
so bad.
8.
Everything will be OK.
9. Look on
the bright side.
(= consider
the positive aspects)
10. It’s not
the end of the world.
(this phrase
is used when someone is upset about something small and trivial)
7 Phrases
for Disappointment
(ନିରାଶା ପାଇଁ 7 ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ)
(ନିରାଶା ପାଇଁ 7 ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ)
1. What a
pity!
2. What a
shame.
3. How
disappointing.
4. That’s
too bad.
5. Bummer.
6. It was a
real letdown.
7. It didn’t
live up to my expectations.
10 Ways to
Say You Don’t Believe
(ଆପଣ ବିଶ୍ୱାସ କରିବେ ନାହିଁ କହିବାର 10 ଟି ଉପାୟ)
(ଆପଣ ବିଶ୍ୱାସ କରିବେ ନାହିଁ କହିବାର 10 ଟି ଉପାୟ)
1. Yeah,
right.
2. You're
kidding.
3. You're
pulling my leg.
4. That's a
bit of an exaggeration.
5. He’s
stretching the truth.
6. He’s not
telling the whole truth.
7. She’s
being economical with the truth.
(= she’s
lying or not telling the entire truth)
8. His story
is fishy.
9. That's an
outright lie.
10. That's a
pack of lies.
10
Expressions for Bad People
(ଖରାପ ଲୋକଙ୍କ ପାଇଁ 10 ଅଭିବ୍ୟକ୍ତି)
(ଖରାପ ଲୋକଙ୍କ ପାଇଁ 10 ଅଭିବ୍ୟକ୍ତି)
1. He’s a
creep.
(=
unpleasant, suspicious, makes you afraid/uneasy)
2. He’s a
pervert.
(= someone
with disgusting sexual tendencies)
3. He’s a
sicko.
4. He’s a
scumbag.
5. He’s an
asshole.
6. He’s a
jerk.
7. He’s a
bastard.
8. She’s a
bitch.
(= she’s
irritating and unpleasant)
9. She’s a
psycho.
(= crazy,
irrational)
10. She’s a
slut.
(= she has
sex with a lot of people)
10 Words for
Describing Speaking
(କଥାବାର୍ତ୍ତା ବର୍ଣ୍ଣନା ପାଇଁ 10 ଟି ଶବ୍ଦ)
(କଥାବାର୍ତ୍ତା ବର୍ଣ୍ଣନା ପାଇଁ 10 ଟି ଶବ୍ଦ)
1. He yelled.
2. She
screamed.
3. I
whispered.
(= spoke in
an extremely quiet voice)
4. We
chatted.
(= had an
informal conversation)
5. He
mumbled.
(= spoke in
a low voice, not clearly, without opening his mouth much)
6. My kids
whined.
(=
complained)
7. He
rambled. / He went on and on.
(= talked
too much without stopping)
8. She
stammered.
9. I snapped
at my husband.
(= said a
quick and angry remark)
10. He
muttered.
(= spoke in
a low voice, usually making complaints or negative comments)
10 Phrases
for Facial Expressions
(ମୁଖ ଅଭିବ୍ୟକ୍ତି ପାଇଁ 10 ଟି ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ)
(ମୁଖ ଅଭିବ୍ୟକ୍ତି ପାଇଁ 10 ଟି ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ)
1. She was
beaming.
(= she had a
big, radiant smile)
2. The kids
were smiling from ear to ear.
3. He looked
puzzled.
(= confused)
4. She
grinned.
(= had a
small smile)
5. He winced
when the doctor gave him an injection.
(= had a
quick expression of pain)
6. She gave
me a dirty look.
(= looked at
me angrily)
7. She
blushed.
(= her face
turned red because she was embarrassed)
8. His eyes
were glazed over.
(= he
appeared
9. Why the
long face?
(an informal
expression to ask why someone looks sad or upset)
10. Her
expression was unreadable.
(= you can’t
know what she is feeling)
10 Phrases
to Describe Offending or Upsetting
People
(ଲୋକଙ୍କୁ ଅପମାନିତ କିମ୍ବା ଅସନ୍ତୋଷ ବର୍ଣ୍ଣନା କରିବାକୁ 10 ଟି ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ)
(ଲୋକଙ୍କୁ ଅପମାନିତ କିମ୍ବା ଅସନ୍ତୋଷ ବର୍ଣ୍ଣନା କରିବାକୁ 10 ଟି ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ)
1. They got
off on the wrong foot.
(= when they
first met, they didn’t get along)
2. He got on
the teacher’s bad side.
3. She took
offense at his comment.
4. He has a
chip on his shoulder.
(= he is
easily offended)
5. She got
bent out of shape.
6. He left
in a huff.
7. She got
her panties in a wad.
8. He has a
short fuse.
(= he gets
angry easily)
9. She
dissed my mother.
(= she
insulted/disrespected my mother)
10. He got
his nose out of joint.
10 Phrases
for Bad Travel Experiences
(ଖରାପ ଭ୍ରମଣ ଅଭିଜ୍ଞତା ପାଇଁ 10 ଟି ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ)
(ଖରାପ ଭ୍ରମଣ ଅଭିଜ୍ଞତା ପାଇଁ 10 ଟି ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ)
1. My flight
was overbooked.
(overbooked
= there were too many passengers and not enough seats)
2. My flight
was delayed/canceled.
3. My
luggage was lost.
4. I was
jet-lagged.
(= I felt
tired because of the time zone difference between my origin and destination)
5. My hotel
was in a seedy area.
(seedy =
possibly unsafe)
6. I was
mugged.
(= I was
robbed on the street)
7. The
weather was miserable.
8. I got the
runs.
(= diarrhea)
9. The place
was a tourist trap.
(= made only
for tourists; not authentic)
10. I
couldn’t wait to get back home.
10 Phrases
for Drinking (Alcohol)
(ପିଇବା ପାଇଁ (ମଦ୍ୟପାନ)10 ଟି ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ)
(ପିଇବା ପାଇଁ (ମଦ୍ୟପାନ)10 ଟି ବାକ୍ୟାଂଶ)
1. It’s on
me.
(= I’ll buy
you a drink)
2. I’d like
to make a toast.
(= I’d like
to honor a person/event/idea)
3. Here’s
to… (your health / the New Year / our success)!
4. Another
round of drinks, please.
5. Put it on
my tab.
(tab = bill
to pay later, before you leave)
6. He’s a
bit tipsy.
(= a little
bit drunk)
7. He’s completely
sloshed/wasted/plastered.
(=
completely drunk)
8. She’s
trying to drown her sorrows.
(= drinking
alcohol for relief from pain/sadness)
9. I’m the
designated driver.
(= I’m not
drinking alcohol because I will drive other people home later)
10. I had a
hangover. / I was hungover.
(= the bad
feeling you have the morning after drinking too much)
15
Comparative Idioms
(15 ଟି ତୁଳନାତ୍ମକ ଭାବନା)
(15 ଟି ତୁଳନାତ୍ମକ ଭାବନା)
1. It’s as
light as a feather.
2. It’s as
dry as a bone.
3. It’s as
flat as a pancake.
4. He’s as
mad as a hornet.
5. It’s as
old as the hills.
6. It’s as
quick as lightning.
7. She’s as
sick as a dog.
8. He’s as
strong as an ox.
9. They’re
as different as night and day.
10. She’s as
stubborn as a mule.
11. He’s as
proud as a peacock.
12. She’s as
white as a sheet.
(usually
used when someone is very afraid or very sick)
13. It’s as
solid as a rock.
14. It’s as
good as new.
(used after
something broken has been repaired)
15. It’s as
clear as mud.
(= it’s not
clear at all)
