Negatives and Interrogatives
(ନାସ୍ତିବାଚକ ଏବଂ ପ୍ରଶ୍ନବାଚକ)

1.  Negatives = negative sentences = ନାସ୍ତି ବାଚକ ବାକ୍ୟ
Interrogatives=interrogative sentences =ପ୍ରଶ୍ନବାଚକ ବାକ୍ୟ,

affirmatives=affirmative sentences

2. ଗୋଟିଏ declarative sentence positive statement ବା negative statement ହୋଇପାଏ |
positive statement କୁaffirmative sentence ଓ negative statement କୁ negative sentence କୁହାଯାଏ ।
3. affirmatives କୁ କିପରି negatives ରେ ପରିଣତ କରାଯାଏ ତାହାର ଉଦାହରଣ ଏଠାରେ ପ୍ରଥମେ ଦିଆଯାଇଛି ।
attilmatives କୁ କିପରି inter1ogatives ରେ ପରିଣତ କରାଯାଏ ତାହାର ଉଦାହରଣ ପରେ ପରେ ଦିଆଯାଇଛି ।
ପୁନଶ୍ଚ, affirmatives କୁ ଉଭୟ negatives ଓ interrogatives କିପରି କରାଯାଏ ତାହାର ଉଦାହରଣ ମଧ୍ୟ ଶେଷରେ ଦିଆଯାଇଛି ।

A. Conversion of affirmatives into negatives

1.ସାଧାରଣତଃ affirmative sentences ରେ ଥିବା auxiliary verb ପରେ not ବସାଇ negative କରାଯାଏ ।

ଅନ୍ୟପ୍ରକାରେ not ବିନା ମଧ୍ୟ negative sentence ମିଳିଥାଏ । ଏହାର ଉଦାହରଣ ପରେ ଦିଆଯାଇଛି ।

 Affirmative sentence 
   
 He is going.
You are a student.
He has gone. ,

 Negative sentence 

He is not going.


ଏଠାରେ aux. verb= is, ଏହାପରେ not ବସିଛି ।
You are not a student. 
aux. verb= are, ଏହାପରେ notବସିଛି ।
He has not gone.
aux. verb=has, ଏହାପରେ, not ବସିଛି ।
They will not come.
 aux. verb=will, ଏହାପରେ not ବସିଛି ।

 2. ସମସ୍ତ verb ର V, ରେ do ଓ y, ରେ did ଲୁଚିକରି ଥାଏ  |
 aff. sentence କୁ negative/ interrogative କଲାବେଳେ ଏହା ଫୁଟିକରି ବାହାରେ ।
 ସେତେବେଳେ ଏ ଦୁହେଁ aux.verb ହୁଅନ୍ତି ଓ ଏମାନଙ୍କ ପରେ not ବସାଇ negative କରାଯାଏ ।

V............go = do go
 play = do play
 read = do read
see = do see
V,...........went= did go
played = did play
 read (ରେଡ଼) =did read (ରିଡ୍)
 saw=did see
Affirmative sentences  
a.I go with him=I do go with him.
I play with him= I do play with him.
I read with him=I do read with him.
Negative sentence
I do not go with him.
I do not play with him.
I do not read with him.
ଏଠାରେ affirmative sentence ମାନଙ୍କରେ ଥିବା aux.verb=do ପରେ not ବସାଇ negative କରାଯାଇଛି ।

b. I went with him=I did go with him.
I did not go with him.
I played with him=I did play with him.
I did not play with him.
I read (ରେଡ୍) with him=I did read with him.
I did not read (ରିଡ୍) with him.
I saw him=I did see him.
I did not see him.
ଏଠାରେ affirmative sentence ମାନଙ୍କରେ ଥିବା aux. verb=did ପରେ, not ବସାଇ negatives କରାଯାଇଛି ।

3. goes= does go, plays = does play, reads = does read, has = does have, had=did has /did have 1 ଆଗରୁ କୁହାଯାଇଛି ଯେ କେବଳ present tense simple form ରେ କଉଁ third-person ଓ singular numberହୋଇଥିଲେ ଏହାର verb ରେ s/es ଲାଗେ | ଅନ୍ୟ କୌଣସି tense ର କୌଣସି form ର verb ରେ s/es ଲାଗେ ନାହିଁ |
Affirmative sentences   
He plays = He does play.
Rama plays =Rama does play.
He has a book = He does have a book.

Negative sentence
He does not go.
He does not play.
Rama does not play.
He does not have a book./He has not any book.
କିନ୍ତୁ He has not a book. ହୁଏନାହିଁ, ବରଂ He has no book ହୁଏ ।

 4. do, does, did ଏମାନେ full verb ହେଲେ ଏହା ନିମ୍ନମତେ ହୁଏ |
ଯେପରି  go = do go
goes = does go
went=did go
ଠିକ୍ ସେହିପରି do = do do
does = does do
did=did do
do=do do ଏଠାରେ
1st do = aux. verb
2nd do = full verb
does = does do
does = aux,verb
do=full verb
did = did do
did = aux. verb
do = full verb
Affirmative sentences  
a. I do this work = I do do this work
b. He does this work = He does do this work.
c. I did this work = I did do this work. 
Negative sentences
I do not this work.
He does not do this work.
I did not do this work.
ଏଠାରେ ମଧ୍ୟଉପର ଭଳି affirmatives ରେ ଥିବା aux.verb= do, does, did ପରେ, not ବସାଇ negative କରାଯାଇଛି । 5.declarative, interrogative, imperative sentencesମାନଙ୍କରେ ଉଭୟ affirmative ଓ negative ହୁଏ |
କିନ୍ତୁ exclamatory sentence ର କେବଳ affirmative ହୁଏ, Negative ହୁଏ ନାହିଁ । e.g.
Affirmative sentences       
declarative ........He is going.
interrogative .......Is he going?
imperative .......... Go there.

Negative sentences
 He is not going.
Is he not going. or Isn't he going?
Do not go there. or Don't go there.
exclamatory .......How wonderful it is!ଏପରି ହୁଏ |କିନ୍ତୁ How wonderful it is not! ଏପରି ହୁଏ ନାହିଁ ।
6.
negative operators: no, never, nor, neither...nor none ଏମାନଙ୍କୁ ବ୍ୟବହାର କରି  negative sentences ମଧ୍ୟ କରାଯାଏ |
ଏଠାରେ କେତେକ କ୍ଷେତ୍ରରେ, not ବିନା ମଧ୍ୟ negative sentenceମିଳିଥାଏ |
 Affirmative sentences
He has some work.
He goes there.


Negative operator
no
never
nor
neither....nor
none

Negative sentences 
He has no work./He has not any work.
He never goes there.
He did not go there nor came here.
He neither went there nor came here.
None of them went there.

7. Use of 'not'; 'after; let' and 'used to'
Let's play = ଚାଲ ଖେଳିବା
Let's not play =ଚାଲ ଖେଳିବା ନାହିଁ
He used to walk in childhood.
He used not to walk in childhood.

8.Contraction=Short form
ସାଧାରଣତଃ negative sentence ରେ notବଦଳରେ n't ଲେଖାଯାଏ | ଏହାକୁ contraction କୁହାଯାଏ |
e.g.
Affirmative 
He is going.
It is true.
Various contracted forms have been given below.
do not = don't
are not = aren't
might not=mightn't

Negative 
He is not going.
It is not true.
does not = doesn't
will not won't
must not =mustn't

Contracted negatives
He isn't going.
It is n't true.
did not didn't.
shall not = shan't .
am not=amn't.
is not isn't.
can not = can't .

Affirmative
I am ill.
He is ill.
They are ill.
He has done.
He will do.
I shall go.

Contracted affirmatives 
I'm ill.
He's ill.
They're ill.
He's done.
He'll do.
I'll go.

contracted negatives
I'm not ill.କିନ୍ତୁ I'am'nt ill./I am n't ill ଏପରି ହୁଏ ନାହିଁ |
He is n’till.
They aren't ill.
He hasn't done.
He won't do.
I shan't go.

NOTE: He's ill since long =He is ill since long,
ଏଠାରେ He's=He is
He's been ill since long=He has been since long.
ଏଠାରେ He’s = He has ସେହିପରି
She's = she is ବା  She has ହୋଇପାରେ
It's = It is ହୋଇପାରେ ବା
 It's = It has ହୋଇପାରେ |

10. Question tag: Interrogative sentence ର ଏକ କ୍ଷୁଦ୍ରଅଂଶକୁ question tag କୁହାଯାଏ ।
ଏହା ସର୍ବଦା ବାକ୍ୟର ଶେଷରେ ରହେ ।
a. affirmatives ରେ negative question tag ଓ negatives ରେ positive question tag ଲାଗେ |
Affir.sent
I go
He goes.
I am going.
I have gone.
I shall not go.
You will go.

Affir. sent. with neg.
Igo, don't I?
He goes, doesn't he?
I am going, aren't I?
I have gone, haven't I?
I shall not go, shall I?
You will go, won't you?

q.tag Neg.sentence
I do not go.
He does not go,
I am not going
I have not gone.
I shall go
You will not go

Neg. sent.with pos. q .tag 
I do not go, do I?
He does not go, does he?
I am not going, am I?
I have not gone, have I?
I shall go, shan't I?
You will not go, will you?

ଉପର ଉଦାହରଣମାନଙ୍କରେ Italik latter ରେ ଲେଖାଯାଇଥିବା portion ଗୁଡିକ question tag ଅଟନ୍ତି |
The subject of the sentence to which Q. tag will be added may be either a noun or a pronoun. But a Q tag contains a pronoun only not a noun. e.g.

Anita made this garland. Here sub= Anita, it is a noun.

 If q. tag is added to this sentence it will be... Anita made this garland, didn't she?

Here she=pronoun

Anita made this garland, didn’t Anita? It is incorrect to write like this.
They are not playing now in the field.
Here sub=they, it is a pronoun.
If q. tag is added to this sentence it will be.....
They are not playing now in the field, aren't they?
Here they = pronoun and it is correct.

B. Conversion of affirmative into interrogatives

Interrogatives are two types = interrogative sentenceଦୁଇପ୍ରକାର |
a. Yes-No question
b. Wh-question
a. Yes-No question: -ଏହାର ଆରମ୍ଭରେ ସବା aux.verbରହେ, ତାପରେ sub = କର୍ତ୍ତା, main verb =ମୁଖ୍ୟ
କ୍ରିୟ ରହେ ।
 ଏହାପରେ ଅନ୍ୟାନ୍ୟ ଶବ୍ଦ ରହିପାରେ ବା ରହି ନ ପାରେ । e.g
Affirmative sentence
 Interrogative sentence
 i. I go = 1 do go         Do I go?
ଏଠାରେ aux.verb = do ଓ ଏହା
Interrogative sentence ର ଆରମ୍ଭରେ ସବା ପ୍ରଥମେ ବସିଛି |କର୍ତ୍ତା= sub=I,
 ମୁଖ୍ୟ କ୍ରିୟା= main verb =go ଓ ଅନ୍ୟାନ୍ୟ ଶଦ୍ଦ=କିଛି ନାହିଁ,ଏମାନେ aux.verb ପରେ ବସିଛନ୍ତି |
ii. I do go there today. (I go = I do go ) Dol go there today? ଏଠାରେ aux, verb = do ଓ ଏହା
interro. sentence ର ଆରମ୍ଭରେ ବସିଛି | sub -I ,ମୁଖ୍ୟକ୍ରିୟା୍ = main verb = go, ଅନ୍ୟାନ୍ୟ ଶଦ୍ଦ = there
today ଏମାନେ ସମସ୍ତେ aux. verb = do ପରେ ବସିଛି | ସେହିପରି ନିମ୍ନ ବାକ୍ୟ ମାନଙ୍କରେ ମଧ୍ୟ aux. verb ଟି Interro.sentence = Yes-No question ର ଆରମ୍ଭରେ ସବାପ୍ରଥମେ ବସିଛି ଏବଂ ଅନ୍ୟମାନେ ଏହାପରେ ବସିଛିନ୍ତି |
He goes =He does go.           Does he go?
Cow eats grass= Cow does eat grass.    Does cow eat grass?
 Rama does this = Rama does do this.  Does Rama do this?
He is going there.                                 Is he going there?
He is a student.                                     Is he a student?
I shall see this.                                     Shall I see this?
You should come here                        Should you come hgere? 
 Has he a new car.                               Has he a new car?
= He does have a new car.                  Does he have a new car.?
I went there = I did go there.              Did I go there?
He did this = He did do this.              Did he do this?
b. wli-questions:- wh-question ର ଆରମ୍ଭ ରେ ସବା ପ୍ରଥମେ wh-wordରହେ | ତାପରେ aux.verb, sub
= କର୍ତ୍ତା, main verb =ମୁଖ୍ୟ କ୍ରିୟା ରହେ | ଏ ହାପରେ ଅନୁଆନ୍ୟ ଶଦ୍ଦ ରହେ ରହିପାରେ ବା ରହି ନ ପାରେ |
e.g.
i. What do you do? ଏଠାରେ wh-word = what, ଏହା wh - questionର ଆରମ୍ଭରେ ସବା ପ୍ରଥମେ
ବସିଛି | aux. verb = do, ଏହା wh-word ପରେ ବସିଛି । କଉଁ =sub = you, ମୁଖ୍ୟକ୍ରିୟା = main verb
= do, ଅନ୍ୟାନ୍ୟ ଶଦ୍ଦ = x ଅର୍ଥାତ୍ କିଛି ନାହିଁ, ଏମାନେ ସମସ୍ତେ wh-word, aux, verbପରେ ବସିଛନ୍ତି |
 ii. What do you do now here? ଏଠାରେ wh-word=what, ଏହା wh-questionର ଆରମ୍ଭରେ ସବାପ୍ରଥମେ
ବସିଛି | aux. verb = do, ଏହା wh-word ପରେ ବସିଛି । sub= you, main verb = do, ଅନ୍ୟାନ୍ୟ ଶବ୍ଦ = now here, ଏମାନେ ସମସ୍ତେ wh-word, aux. verb ପରେ ବସିଛନ୍ତି । ସେହିପରି ନିମ୍ନ ବାକ୍ୟ ମାନଙ୍କରେ ମଧ୍ୟ wh-word ଓ aux. verb ଟି Intreegative= wh-question ର ଆରମ୍ଭରେ ସବା ପ୍ରଥେମେ  ବସିଛି ଏବଂ ଅନ୍ୟମାନେ ଏହାପରେ ବସିଛନ୍ତି ।
What are you doing there?
What is your name?
Who are you?
What is your father?
Who is your teacher?
How are you?
Which train arrives first?
Or Which train does arrive first?
When did you go there?
 At what time will he come here?
 C.Conversion of affirmatives into Negative-Interrogative sentences.
 ଗୋଟିଏ affirmatives sentence କୁ ଏକା ସାଙ୍ଗରେ ଉଭୟ Negative ଓ Interrogative ରେ ପରିଣତ କଲେ
ତାହାକୁ negative- interrogative. କୁହାଯାଏ । ଉଭୟ yes-no question ଓ wh-question ପାଇଁ ଏହା ଦୁଇପ୍ରକାର
Yes-No question
 (a) ଯଦି not ବ୍ୟବହାରକରାଯାଏ ତେବେ yes-no questionରେ ସବା ପ୍ରଥମେ aux.verbରହେ | ତାପରେ
subject, not , full verb ଓ ଅନ୍ୟାନ୍ୟ ଶଦ୍ଦ ରହେ | e.g.
 Affirmative sentences          Negative-interrogatives
 He is going there today.       Is he not going there today?
ଏଠାରେ aux. verb = is, ଏହା Yes-No question ରେ ସବାପ୍ରଥମେ ବସିଛି ଓ ଏହାପରେ subject = he, not, full verb = going ଓ ଅନ୍ୟାନ୍ୟ ଶବ୍ଦ = there today ରହିଛନ୍ତି । ନିମ୍ନ ଉଦାହରଣ ଗୁଡ଼ିକ ମଧ୍ୟ ଏହିପରିହେଇଛି ।
You are a teacher.        Are you not a teacher ?
The cow eats grass       Does the cow not eat grass?
 (b)ଯଦି notବଦଳରେ ଏହାର contracted form = n't ବ୍ୟବଅହାରକରାଯାଏ |ତେବେ yes-no question ରେ
ସବା ପ୍ରଥମେ aux. verb +n’t ରହେ । ତା’ପରେ sub, full verb, ଅନ୍ୟାନ୍ୟ ଶବ୍ଦ ରହେ । This is a very important difference.e.g.
 Affirmative sentences       Negative -interrogatives
He is going there today.     Isn't he going there today?
ଏଠାରେ aux.verb+n?t= isn't ଓ ଏହା Jes-No question ରେ ସବା ପ୍ରଥମେ ବସିଛି ଓ ଏହାପରେ sub =he, full verb = going ଓ ଅନ୍ୟାନ୍ୟ ଶବ୍ଦ = there today ରହିଛନ୍ତ । ନିମ୍ନ ଉଦାହରଣ ଗୁଡ଼ିକ ମଧ୍ୟ ଏହିପରିହେଇଛି ।
You are a teacher.           Aren't you a teacher ?
 The cow eats grass.       Doesn't the cow eat grass?
 Wh-question : Wh-question 60 991 92691ରେ ସବାପ୍ରଥମେ wh-wordରହେ ଓ ଉଦାହରଣ ଭଳି ହୁଏ |
(a) ଯଦି not ବ୍ୟବହାର କରାଯାଏ ତେବେ wh-question ରେ ଥିବା ସବାପ୍ରଥମେ wh-word, ତାପରେ aux. verb
ରହେ । ତାପରେ subject, not, full verb ଓ ଅନ୍ୟାନ୍ୟ ଶବ୍ଦ ରହେ ।e.g.
 Affirmative sentences      Negative - interrogatives
He is going there today.    Why is he not going there today?
ଏଠାରେ wh-word= why ଓ ଏହା wh-question ରେ ସବାପ୍ରଥମେ ବସିଛି ଓ ଏହାପରେ aux.verb= sub = he, not, full verb = going ଓ ଅନ୍ୟାନ୍ୟ ଶବ୍ଦ = there today ରହିଛନ୍ତି । ନିମ୍ନ ଉଦାହରଣ ଗୁଡ଼ିକ ମଧ୍ୟସେହିପରି ହେଇଛି ।
 You can read here    Why can you not read here?
He will work here.     Why will he not work here?
(b) ଯଦି notଏଠାରେ ଏହାର contracted form = n't ବ୍ୟବହାର କରାଯାଏ ତେବେ wh-question66
ସବାପ୍ରଥମେ wh-word, ତା’ପରେ auxiliary verb+n’t ରହେ । ତା'ପରେ subject, full verb ଓ ଅନାନ୍ୟ ଶଦ୍ଦ ରହେ | e.g. Affirmative sentences     Negative-interrogatives
He is going there today.   Why isn't he going there today?
  wh-word = why ଓ ଏହା wh-question66 ରେ ସବା ପ୍ରଥବେ ବସିଛି | aux.verb+n't = isn't ଅଛି । ତାପରେ sub = he, full verb = going ଓ ଅନ୍ୟାନ୍ୟ ଶବ୍ଦ = there, today ରହିଛନ୍ତି । ନିମ୍ନ ଗୁଡ଼ିକ ଏହିପରି ହେଇଛି ।
You can read here.          Why can't you read here?
 He will work here.         Why won’t he work here?